Collings 002H 14 Fret
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Take it from the top
Collings guitars are a boutique custom guitars brand from Texas. Founder Bill Collings led the way until his death in 2017. His guiding principles were hard work, authenticity and the creation of instruments with soul. These remain the main focus of the company today.
Collings make both electric and acoustic guitars. However, their acoustics are arguably what has put them on the map. Collings acoustic guitars are based on classic American heritage designs. Body shapes include Dreadnoughts, Orchestral and 0 models. All are available in a range of variations of woods and finishes.
Every Collings guitar is hand-voiced. The finishing is carried out in several thin costs of nitrocelluose. Hand sanding takes place between coats. This helps achieve resonant, acoustically brilliant instruments with a clean, understated beauty.
This awesome Collings 02H is built entirely by hand, with top quality materials, to be the ‘almost’ perfect instrument. The 0-type body style is incredibly well built. Check out the quality of the bindings, the herringbone inlay and the Ebony bridge pins. Be aware this little she-devil is poweful.
This Collings 02H is really small and light in your hand. Even the neck: very easy and comfortable. Despite the very low action there are no annoying clashes, indeed, in any position, every note comes out to perfection. Although the body is very small, the decibels produced by this guitar can be considerable, an exceptional result for a 0-model like this. The power is there and always filled with exceptional sound complexity. It is an organic sound, rich and warm.
Usually instruments like this Collings 02H this kind are characterized (often afflicted) by powerful means and a slightly nasal sound. The 02H instead has avreally big and thick bass making her sound like a bigger guitar. However, it remains an 0 and if you move slightly to the bridge you can bring out all the tip you need to have that precise timbre so useful when you want to emerge in a mix or just underline a melody.
- Top: Sitka spruce
- Back & Sides: Eatst Indian rosewood
- Neck: Honduran mahogany
- Body Binding: Ivoroid with herringbone purfling
- Bridge: Ebony belly-style with 2 3/16″ spacing
- Fingerboard: Ebony with abalone short diamond & squares
- Bridge Pins/End Pin: Ebony with MOP dot
- Nut: Bone, 1 11/16″ / 43mm
- Saddle: Bone, drop-in
- Neck Profile: Modified V
- Peghead Profile: Tapered square with volute
- Neck Joint: Mortise & tenon hybrid
- Truss Rod: Fully adjustable
- Frets: Medium 18% nickel-silver
- Peghead Veneer: Stained Exotic Ebony with MOP Collings logo
- Tuners: Nickel Waverly (16:1 ratio)
- Backstrip: 2-style (Zipper)
- Rosette: iv/tort/iv & b/w purflings
- Scale Length: 24 7/8″ / 632mm
- Brace Material: Sitka spruce
- Brace Pattern: Pre-war scalloped X-brace
- Fingerboard Radius: 14″ – 26″ compound
- Finish: Ultra thin high gloss nitrocellulose lacquer
- Pickguard: Tortoise
- Case: Collings Traditional Handcrafted Case
Year: 2021 (brand new)